UK PRIVACY NOTICE FOR ByYourSide®
Last Updated 8th October 2021
This Privacy Notice describes the practices of Pfizer Inc. (“Pfizer” or “we”) in connection with the data collected through the app ByYourSide® (the “App”).
The App is intended to help cancer patients as well as their families and friends to better cope with the disease burden. The App’s functionality is designed to facilitate both everyday life and sharing information about well-being. Users may use the app for recording and managing data about their well-being. Users also can connect with supporters, share information with them and submit requests to them asking for support in everyday life’s tasks. The App does not offer any medication or therapy specific features.
“Personal Data” is data that identifies you as an individual or relates to an identifiable individual. We collect Personal Data in various ways through the App, including through registrations, applications, surveys, in connection with your inquiries, and automatically when you use the App.
The App may ask for the following Personal Data when you use the App, including (mandatory data is being highlighted with *):
- Registration/Profile data (including but not limited to the mandatory data: name, user type (patient or carer), email address and password)*
- Health Data:
- Sleep and steps (may be connected from Fitbit Connect or GoogleFit or Apple Health if You chose to connect)
- Pain (location and intensity)
- Type of cancer
- Fatigue (intensity)
- Health Notes (including Note name, Note title, Note details, Add details and Notebook name)
- Posts (if health related)
- Essential/Necessary/Non-Essentials Tasks (if you choose to use the Prioritize, Plan, Pace Wellbeing Tool)
- Problems/Solutions/Action Tasks (if you choose to use the Problem Solving Wellbeing Tool)
- In-app Social Interaction Data between you and other users you connect with (e.g.: tasks, chat messages, user role etc.)
- Usage Data (purely structured, technical and automated data)
- Profile Image
A survey may be used within the App which is optional for users. Information provided will be collected on an anonymous basis in order to help us evaluate the usefulness of the App, gain insights into App usage and develop improvements and/or new features to the App.
If you elect to connect your third party account to the App to enable sign-on functionality, certain Personal Data from your third party account will be shared with us (here: name, email address and URL of profile photo as part of your profile), which may include Personal Data that is part of your third party profile.
To use the App’s functionalities, we require you to register with certain pieces of Personal Data. If you choose not to provide Personal Data that is necessary to provide certain services, we may not be able to provide you with those services.
If you add friends to your Circle and provide any Personal Data relating to another person, you are telling us that you have the authority to share that data and to permit us to use the data as described in this Privacy Notice. The default role in the app is the user who creates an own account. In addition, every default user can nominate other default users as his/her “proxy” user. A proxy user can use the app on behalf of the other default user to support him/her. The proxy role can access most of the functionality of the app for the default user, except for photos and audio recordings. By making a user your “proxy” you provide your consent to us that the “proxy” user may process data on your behalf.
DATA STORAGE AND ENCRYPTION
Your data is stored and encrypted as described in this section. The data listed in A. is stored locally on the device. The data that you share with your supporters using the App is being transferred to and stored on an external database.
A. The following data is stored on your device and cannot be shared with your supporters or proxy:
- Audio Recordings
- Photo name
- Photo details
B. The following data is always transferred to and stored on an external database (encrypted data marked with *):
- Name (first name and last name or first name/nickname + initial) and email address
- Profile Photos
- Health Notes*
- Chat & Posts*
- User Role (e.g. default user or Proxy)
- Location (if you enable the weather functionality)*
- Sleep and steps (from Fitbit Connect or Apple Health if you chose to connect)*
- Type of cancer*
- Essential/Necessary/Non-Essentials Tasks* (if you choose to use the Prioritize, Plan, Pace Wellbeing Tool)
- Problems/Solutions/Action Tasks* (if you choose to use the Problem Solving Wellbeing Tool)
HOW WE USE PERSONAL DATA
We use Personal Data to:
- Provide the App’s functionality and fulfill your requests when we have a contractual relationship or a legitimate interest in doing so, including:
- To provide customer service to you.
- To respond to your inquiries and fulfill your requests, such as to send you notifications and PIN/Invitation code or password resets.
- To send administrative information to you, such as information regarding the App and changes to our terms, conditions, and policies.
- To allow you to send messages to users.
- Operate our business to comply with our legal obligations and to meet our legitimate interests in maintaining our business, including (where appropriate on an aggregated level):
- To conduct data analysis to improve the user experience.
- To identify usage trends in the use of our App and analyse the effectiveness of our communications.
- To detect, prevent, and investigate fraud, including (cyber) security monitoring and prevention.
- To develop new products and services.
- To enhance, improve, or modify our services.
- To better understand how our services impact you and those for whom you care.
- To track and respond to concerns, including engaging in regulatory monitoring and reporting obligations related to adverse events, product complaints, and patient safety.
- To operate and expand our business activities.
We use health data you provide for the purpose of improving your user experience. Specifically, to allow you to share updates relating to your health data to the followers of your choice. Any further use will be disclosed to you in any update to the App’s consent.
HOW WE DISCLOSE PERSONAL DATA
We disclose Personal Data as follows:
- To our third-party service providers, to provide services such as information technology and related infrastructure provision, customer service, email delivery, auditing and other services.
- When you post data or materials on the App,
- If you elect to share data or materials through the App, please be aware that anything you post will be available to other App users to whom you are connected. We urge you to carefully consider when deciding to disclose any data or materials through the App
- If you use the App to send a message or disclose any data, the message or data will be available to other App users to whom you are connected,
- If you login with third party account credentials, Apple, Facebook or Google will know that you have signed up to this App.
We also use and disclose your Personal Data as we believe to be necessary or appropriate:
- To comply with applicable law and our regulatory monitoring and reporting obligations (which may include laws outside your country of residence), to respond to requests from public and government authorities (which may include authorities outside your country of residence), to cooperate with law enforcement, or for other legal reasons.
- To enforce our terms and conditions.
- To protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you or others.
In addition, we may use, disclose or transfer Personal Data to a third party in connection with any reorganisation, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
We may aggregate the Personal Data that you and other App users provide. Provided the aggregated data does not personally identify you or any other individual, we may use and disclose such aggregated data for any purpose.
DATA COLLECTED AUTOMATICALLY AND AGGREGATED
We use tracking technologies so that we can understand how the App is used, optimise user engagement with the App and customize and enhance your experience. We may also use the data collected to deliver personalised services to you. These technologies collect certain data automatically, such as:
- Data about your device, such as your screen resolution, operating system, device manufacturer and model, and language. We use this data to ensure that the App functions properly.
- Data about your use of the App, including content viewed, features used and the dates and times of your interactions with the App. We use this data to understand how users engage with the App and to customise and improve the App experience.
You can disable the use of Adobe Analytics in the App settings. Please refer to the menu “Profile” and the submenu “Settings” to switch off the Analytics Tools (by unticking the button ‘Analytics’) for this App on this device. Turning off this functionality will not affect the normal operation of the App.
We collect the physical location of your device by using GPS or WiFi signals if you chose to use the Weather functionality. We use your device’s physical location to provide you with location-based services and content. You may be able to allow or deny such collection and/or use through your device settings or the App’s privacy controls.
You may stop all collection of data by the App by uninstalling the App. Please note that the mere removal of the App from your device does not trigger the deletion of your Personal Data used in the App.
- You may stop the receipt of push notifications through your device settings.
- You can manually delete your account inside the app.
- If you would like to request to review, correct, update, restrict or delete Personal Data that you have provided to us through the App, or if you would like to make a portability request of such Personal Data, you may contact us at Contact Us. We will respond to your request consistent with applicable law. You may also be able to update your profile through the App.
In your request, please tell us what Personal Data you would like to have changed, whether you would like to have it deleted from our database, or otherwise let us know what limitations you would like to put on our use of it. For your protection, we may only implement requests with respect to the Personal Data associated with the email address that you use to send us your request, and we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request. We will try to comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable. Please note that we may need to retain certain Personal Data for record-keeping purposes and/or to complete any transactions that you began prior to requesting a change or deletion.
You may have a right to lodge a complaint with a data protection authority competent for your habitual residence, place of work, or place of alleged infringement. Please click here for contact information for such authorities.
We seek to use reasonable organisational, technical and administrative measures to protect your Personal Data. Unfortunately, no data transmission or storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure.
If you choose to share reports or other messages generated by the App with others electronically, you are advised to first check the security features of your email or other applicable communications features on your device, as they do not operate within the App.
If you do not access the App for 11 months, the system will email you and inform you of the inactivity. If you do not subsequently access your account within 30 days from the date of the email, all your personal data will be removed from our system, including your account details. Data already aggregated will remain in the aggregate.
The data we collect through the App may be stored and processed in any country where we have facilities or in which we engage service providers, including in the United States and where our affiliates operate.
Some non-European Economic Area (“EEA”) countries are recognised by the European Commission as providing an adequate level of data protection according to EEA standards (the full list of these countries is available here. For transfers from the EEA to countries not considered adequate by the European Commission, we have put in place adequate measures, such as by ensuring that the recipient is bound by EU Standard Contractual Clauses, to protect your Personal Data. You may obtain a copy of these measures by contacting us as indicated in the Contact Us section below.
This Privacy Notice does not address, and we are not responsible for, the data collection, use, disclosure or security practices, or other practices, of any third party, including any third party operating a service to which the App links. The inclusion of a link within the App does not imply our endorsement of the linked service.
What data the App is collecting about the user
The Facebook Sign-In option when authorized by user makes use of the user’s email address, first name and last name, profile picture to display in the profile section of ByYourSide®.
For what purposes is the App using that data
The user’s name is used in the ByYourSide® App Feed and Support sections for user identification and to map some of user provided data if authorized and shared by the user inside the App. The email address is also used for registration purposes and further communications.
How the user may request that the data be deleted
User can delete associated data with the App by going into Profile setting section and clicking on delete account button
USE BY MINORS
The App is not directed to individuals under the age of sixteen (16), and we do not knowingly collect Personal Data from such individuals. If you are under the relevant age of consent in your jurisdiction, you will need your parent’s or legal guardian’s permission to use the App. Please consult with your parent or legal guardian before installing the App.
If you are providing us with Personal Data of individuals under the age of sixteen (16), you represent that you have the appropriate authority to do so and that you can demonstrate such authority to Pfizer upon request.
From time to time, we will update this Privacy Notice. Any changes will become effective when we post the revised Privacy Notice in the App. This Privacy Notice was last updated as of the “Last Updated” date shown above.
GOOGLE FIT® APP
ByYourSide® when authorized by you can receive information from the Google Fit® application. Steps data logged by you in Google Fit® shall be displayed on the ByYourSide® Health screen when Google Fit® is synced with ByYourSide®. Steps data synced from Google Fit® to ByYourSide® shall be displayed on the ByYourSide® Report if selected by you.
The Google Sign-in option when authorized by you makes use f the user email address, first name and last name to display in the profile section of ByYourSide®. The users name is used in the ByYourSide® app Feed and Support Sections for user identification. The email address is also used for registration purpose and further communications.
The company responsible for collection, use, and disclosure of your Personal Data under this Privacy Notice is
235 E. 42nd Street
New York, NY 10017
If you have questions about this Privacy Notice, or if you would like to request to exercise any individual rights, please contact us at [email protected] or [email protected], or write to the following address:
KT20 7NS, UK
You may also contact our data protection officer responsible for your country or region, if applicable. To find their contact information, visit DPO.Pfizer.com.